THE PARKS AND SHOPS OF NAGASAKI
Cultural, Shopping, Lunch not included
On this tour we will explore two parks that encapsulate two equally founding moments of Nagasaki’s history: the Peace Park, which commemorates the tragic event of the atomic bombing in 1945, and Glover Garden, the former residence of the western merchants who contributed to the modernisation of the local and national economy.
What we will see
- Nagasaki Peace Park
- Statue of Peace and Fountain of Peace
- Glover Garden
- Shopping in Hamanomachi
What we will do
- Our first destination is Nagasaki Peace Park, a tranquil landscape created in 1949 on the very site of the atomic explosion of 9 August 1945 as a monument against the proliferation of nuclear weapons.
- The park also features the famous statue of peace, a bronze carving that symbolises the strong wish for reconciliation felt by the local people, and the magnificent fountain of peace which bears an inscription taken from the diary of a young girl which recounts her terrible thirst on the day of the bombing.
- We will continue our tour with a much lighter tone at the magnificent Glover Garden, characterised by ancient western-style houses. Located on a hillside, the gardens boast a breathtaking view of the city and are a recognised UNESCO World Heritage Site.
- Our tour ends with an opportunity to explore the Hamanomachi shopping district, a labyrinth of streets and galleries inhabited by over 700 traders with countless curiosity shops selling traditional crafts or local delicacies.
What you need to know
Please note: Due to the long walk in the Peace Park and in the Glover Garden, comfortable walking shoes are recommended. This excursion is not recommended for guests with mobility problems. There is nowhere to exchange money here, preparing Japanese Yen is strongly recommended. The order of the itinerary may vary. You are advised to bring a sunhat, sunglasses and bottled water. Tour includes a chinese or english language speaking guide
English & other European tour guides are subject to availability.?