MONTEVIDEO AND JUANICO WINERY
We are in Uruguay - in addition to visiting the magnificent city of Montevideo, we must of course taste its famous local wines. On this excursion, we can enjoy the best of both worlds.
What we will see
- Harbour ( Graf Spee anchor )
- Old City
- Plaza Independencia
- Batlle y Ordóñez park, Carreta and Obelisk of Montevideo
- Estadio Centenario-Historical Monument of World Football
- Legislative Palace
- Juanico Winery, visit vineyards, cellar and tasting session with food
- Winery store
What we will do
- Our tour starts in the amazing city of Montevideo, where 19th-century atmosphere and 20th-century buildings live in perfect harmony with lovely parks and white beaches.
- Depart pier where we learn about the role of the Montevideo port during the Second World War with the Battle of River Plate.
- Our guide tells us the story of the battle, famous for the Admiral Graf Spee battleship, sent to the waters of the south Atlantic Ocean in the weeks before the start of the war. After sinking many adversary British ships, it became severely damaged and had to shelter in Montevideo, where it was later dismantled.
- Continue with a city drive through Plaza Independencia, built in memory of General Artigas, and Batlle y Ordóñez park, named after Uruguayan President José Batlle y Ordóñez, La Carreta bronze statue and the Obelisk dedicated to those who drafted the first Constitution.
- Pass by Estadio Centenario, built in 1930 for the first football world cup and declared a monument by FIFA, and on to the Legislative Palace (photo stop)
- We then head 37 km north of Montevideo towards Juanico Winery, considered one of the leading wineries and exporters of Uruguayan wines. On arrival visit the vineyard’s structure, the cellar and enjoy a wine tasting session accompanied by bread, crackers, a selection of cheeses and cold meats.
- Before returning to the port, we visit the winery store to buy some authentic Uruguayan wine to take home.