Salvador da Bahia
Sightseeing, Cultural, Meal included
This excursion enables us to get to know the wonderful Salvador de Bahia, a city of contrast and colour, meeting point of different cultures and religions, of Afro-Brazilian music, a sensual and warm place, poor yet cheerful, creative and transcendent.
What we will see
- Igreja dos Mares
- Sister Dulce memorial
- Igreja do Bonfim
- Dique do Tororó Lagoon
- Orixás statues
- Restaurant with a view
- Salvador seafront
- Farol da Barra
- Gemmology centre
- Porto di Barra
- Terreiro de Jesus
- Igreja de São Francisco
- Largo del Pelourinho
- Praça Municipal
- Mercado Modelo
What we will do
- We start our excursion with a sightseeing tour of the lower part of the city, with its fascinating Igreja dos Mares, the only Gothic-style church in Salvador de Bahia, and the Sister Dulce memorial. We then visit Igreja do Bonfim, object of deep devotion for the locals.
- We move to the modern city passing in front of the Dique do Tororó lagoon, where we stop to take a few pictures of the statues of Orixás, divinities from the Afro-Christian religious syncretism.
- After lunch in a lovely panoramic restaurant, we continue our tour along the Salvador sea front as far as the city lighthouse - Farol da Barra.
- We then move for an interesting and unusual visit to a Gemmology centre, where we will have the chance to discover and appreciate lovely Brazilian precious stones.
- After the visit, we head towards the port of Barra, where the first Portuguese settlers arrived and founded the city of Salvador.
- We continue to Pelourinho, a lively historic neighbourhood with various bars and monuments and a Unesco World Heritage Site. From here, we go on a walking tour of Salvador's historic city centre with its narrow streets, churches, colourful buildings, a meting point between the African and colonial Portuguese culture. We remain fascinated by the sensuality of Bahian women with their white lace dresses against their cinnamon-coloured skin selling the typical acarajés fritters, by the children playing or practising capoeira in the streets and by the many shops and stalls... a truly enchanting atmosphere.
- We visit the lively Terreiro de Jesus square, the Igreja de São Francisco and Largo del Pelourinho before heading back to the Praça Municipal, where our coach awaits us.
- We then return to the lower part of the city after stopping at Mercado Modelo, the main craft centre of the city, where we have some free time to do some shopping.
What you need to know
- The excursion involves long periods of walking, it is therefore recommended to wear comfortable shoes.
- We recommend that you book early because only a limited number of places are available.