ST. LUCIA, FROM CASTRIES TO THE SOUFRIÈRE VOLCANO
Sightseeing, Nature excursion, Meal included
An exceptional tour of St. Lucia, upon the discovery of the major attractions and the island's most spectacular landscapes, from the capital of Castries to the Soufrière volcano, passing by typical fishing villages: an unforgettable tropical paradise which is bound to make an impact!
What we will see
- Mount Fortune
- Anse La Raye fishing village
- Soufrière sulphurous springs
- Residence of Morne Coubaril Estate
- Lunch in a restaurant with Caribbean buffet and music
- Fishing villages, Marigot Bay
What we will do
- We will begin our tour with a visit to the capital of Castries, which provides us with insight of commercial life in St. Lucia, the lively atmosphere and the hospitality offered by the island's inhabitants. Founded by the French in 1650, the city takes its name from Charles Eugène Gabriel de la Croix, Marquis of Castries, and was destroyed by various fires over the centuries to then be completely restored after 1948.
- We will continue our tour heading to the slopes of Morne Fortune, to reach one of the most evocative and unmissable panoramic points of the capital. From the top of the mount, it is possible to see the port and the city of Castries in all its beauty, and on the clearest and most sunniest days, it is possible to see as far as the coast of Martinique.
- We will continue along the western coat until we arrive at the picturesque fishing village of Anse La Raye, where we will briefly stop on the beach front. Within the village, which upholds original Caribbean atmosphere, popular traditions and superstitions survive still, amongst which obeah (similar to voodoo).
- The next stage will take us to the Soufrière sulphurous springs, often described as the only accessible volcano in the world owing to a road which encircles the crater. This historic site, which we are able to visit, was formed 300,000 years ago following a series of eruptions.
- We will continue towards Morne Coubaril Estate, where we will have the opportunity to visit a typical residence within the estate.
- Atlunch time we will visit a localrestaurant where a delicious Caribbean buffet awaits and where we can enjoy a splendid view of Pitons (the two volcanoes symbolic of the island and declared UNESCO World Heritage Sites) and the city of Soufrière. The meal will be accompanied with a desert and Caribbean popular music will play in the background, inviting us to dance.
- After lunch, we will begin on our return journey passing by landscapes and typical fishing villages, until we reach Marigot Bay (described by the English writer, James Michener as the Caribbean's most beautiful bay), a natural port boasting exceptional beauty where yachts docked and artists and writers sought refuge. Before returning to the ship, we will have the opportunity to take some photos of this unforgettable tropical paradise.
What you need to know
- We recommend that you book early because only a limited number of places are available.
- There is limited availability of English-language guides.
- The excursion will take us along a road with windy stretches.