THE MEDIEVAL HEART OF THE WALLS AND CITY TOWERS
Sightseeing, Cultural, Drink included
Step back in time among the historic fortifications and city walls, with an exciting duel on Tallinn's towers and a tour of the city centre.
What we will see
- Tallinn Upper Town with panoramic views
- Patkul Staircase, Nun's Tower and Kuldjala Tower
- Re-enactment of a duel
- Raekoja Square, Town Hall, Raeapteek, Great Guild
- Market and St Catherine's Guild and craft workshops
What we will do
- On leaving the port, our coach will take a spectacular scenic route around the walls encircling the Old Town. We will get off the coach with our guide to explore the Upper Town, famous for its watchtowers, elegant spires and winding streets paved with cobblestones. Built on top of a hill, it offers an incredible panorama of the spires and red sloping roofs of the Lower Town.
- We will descend the Patkul Staircase before finding ourselves in front of the Nun's Tower, one of the many perfectly preserved towers that run along the walls of the Lower Town. It is here that we will meet the councillor and guardians of the tower: while our guide tells us about Tallinn's towers and the historical reasons behind their construction, we will watch the guardians as they call a false alarm and administer the resulting punishment. In the best traditions of Estonian hospitality, the guardians will offer us drinks and snack on top of the Nun's Tower.
- As we move on to the neighbouring Kuldjala Tower, we will be able to pick out different details in the 14th-century medieval defensive architecture. From the balcony, we will then watch a re-enactment of a duel with swords between a tower guardian and a thief.
- Our next stop in Tallinn is the Lower Town, striking thanks to the exteriors of buildings such as its Raeapteek, the most famous pharmacy in the Baltic States, the Great Guild house, the homes of merchants, and the 15th-century Gothic Town Hall in Raekoja Square.
- Tallinn's final delight is its multicoloured market and the St Catherine's Guild and craft workshops, where we will be able to enjoy some free time before boarding our coach and returning to the port.
What you need to know
- Places on this excursion are limited. We recommend booking early.
- The tour involves walking for about 2 hours, it is therefore recommended to wear comfortable shoes.
- This excursion is not recommended for guests with mobility problems.
- Suitable clothing is recommended for entrance to places of workship. During religious celebrations, the visit will be from outside only.