HISTORIC CENTRE OF TALLINN AND THE ESTONIAN OPEN AIR MUSEUM
We will delve right into the medieval heart of the Estonian capital with its historic churches and picturesque buildings, before experiencing the typical traditional life of the country in a unique museum.
What we will see
- Lower Town with the Nun's Gate and Church of the Transfiguration of our Lord
- Pikk tanav street, the Great Guild, Church of the Holy Spirit
- Raekoja Square, Town Hall and Raeapteek
- St Catherine's Guild and craft workshops
- Estonian Open Air Museum with folklore show
What we will do
- On leaving the port, we will travel into the cultural heart of Tallinn along the city's busy main thoroughfare, lined with the capital's most important historic and modern buildings. As we get closer to our first stop, we will have an opportunity to enjoy splendid views of the medieval citadel, with its fairy-tale towers.
- We will get off the coach near the Nun's Gate and walk past the Church of the Transfiguration of our Lord to the Lower Town, where we will continue along Pikk tanav street, home to the Great Guild, the Church of the Holy Spirit, and finally Raekoja Square. As we walk we can admire the medieval guild houses, the Gothic Town Hall and the exterior of the Raeapteek, a pharmacy that has been active since the 15th century.
- We will have a little time to visit the St Catherine's Guild and craft workshops before returning to our coach, which will take us to the outskirts of Tallinn and the Estonian Open Air Museum. Located between a forest and the sea, it provides a reconstruction of Estonian peasant life in the 18th and 19th centuries, with farms, country inns, windmills and chapels, all complete with furniture and domestic accessories that were once used every day.
- At the museum, we will also enjoy a lively folk dance show with dancers wearing the colourful Estonian national costume. We will also visit some farms, a 17th-century wooden chapel, a 19th-century tavern and a craft shop, where we will be able to buy some souvenirs before returning to the ship.
What you need to know
are included in the tour.
- The tour involves walking for about 2 hours, it is therefore recommended to wear comfortable shoes.
- This excursion is not recommended for guests with mobility problems.
- Places on this excursion are limited. We recommend booking early.
- Suitable clothing is recommended for entrance to places of workship. During religious celebrations, the visit will be from outside only.