HUSKIES AND THE POLAR MUSEUM
A totally unique experience which includes the visit of a real Husky Farm a Husky sled dog centre with over 130 dogs, and a visit to the Polar Museum to relive Tromsø's past.
What we will see
- Island of Kvaløya
- A real Husky Farm
- Polar Museum
What we will do
- We leave the port by coach and cross the Sandnessund bridge to the island of Kvaløya, also known as the 'Whale island'. Kvaløya is extremely mountainous, with peaks above 1000 metres of altitude.
- We proceed to visit a real Husky Farm. During our visit we have the opportunity to get to know some of the 130 dogs in the centre and their wonderful puppies, while the couple share some interesting anecdotes from the numerous expeditions conducted over the years. The owners and their huskies regularly compete in the Finnmark Sled Dog Race (which includes a 1000 km run).
- At the end of our visit we go back to Tromsø to visit the Polar Museum. Housed in what was once the customs building, the museum preserves and displays memorabilia from Tromsø's past when its existence was inseparably linked with hunting and expeditions. In the museum there is a substantial collection of skis, tents and other equipment used by the explorer Roald Amundsen during his expedition to the South Pole.
- After the visit we return to the port by coach.
What you need to know
- Places on this excursion are limited. We recommend booking early.