An excursion dedicated to the beautifully-preserved town of Gjirokastër, declared a UNESCO World Heritage Site, which will charm us with its maze of alleyways and countless monuments retracing its history.
What we will see
- Town of Gjirokastër
- Gjirokastër castle and Museum of Weapons
- Ottoman bazaar and Bazaar Mosque
- Mecite district
- Varosh district
What we will do
- We venture inland by coach to reach the town of Gjirokastër, which dominates the Drin river valley from its position perched on a mountain massif.
- We venture into the city of a thousand steps along its steep cobbled streets that wind their way around stone houses and slate-roof buildings which are typical of the local architecture.
- We visit Gjirokastër castle, whose marvellously strategic position provides exceptional views over the city and valley.
- We wander around the Museum of Weapons inside the castle, which displays a collection of Second World War artillery.
- We then enter the ancient Ottoman bazaar district dating back to the 17th century to have a look at the shops and artefacts and see the Bazaar Mosque, the only one remaining of the fifteen that were built during the Ottoman domination.
- We also visit the Mescite district, one of the greenest in the city with its natural water springs and ancient hammam dating back to Ottoman times.
- We end our tour in the Varosh district, the farthest from the citadel and home to the17th-century Church of St. Michael the Archangel, the leading Orthodox place of worship in the city.
What you need to know
- Places on this excursion are limited. We recommend booking early.
- The tour by coach is partly on winding roads.
- This excursion is not recommended for guests with mobility problems.
- To reach the village of Gjirokastra from the coach park it is necessary to walk approx.15 minutes uphill and climb 35 steps.
- Comfortable shoes and clothing and clothing are recommended.