PISA ON YOUR OWN
Pisa, historically one of Italy's maritime republics, is an enchantingly beautiful city with traces of Romanesque architecture blended harmoniously with its Gothic, Renaissance and Baroque buildings: a gem waiting to be discovered.
What we will see
- Piazza dei Miracoli
- Leaning Tower of Pisa
What we will do
- Our tour guide will lead us on a historic itinerary based on the famous Piazza del Duomo, better known as Piazza dei Miracoli. This was the name given to it by Gabriele D'Annunzio to highlight the splendour of a place where the glowing whiteness of the marble buildings - which appear to spring from the grassy carpet of the square - offers visitors a spectacle like no other.
- Our discovery of the white splendour of Piazza dei Miracoli begins with the Duomo, the highest expression of Pisan Romanesque architecture, in which the classical tradition is filtered through the experiences of the early Church, incorporating Lombard and Byzantine motifs and influences from the Arab and Norman world, to wondrous effect.
- We can't fail to stop and admire the famous Leaning Tower, an imposing structure that appears almost weightless thanks to storey after storey of graceful arches. Here a photo is practically obligatory.
- Finally, we continue to the Baptistry, home to many artistic masterpieces of immense value.
- With the beauty of Pisa lingering in our eyes and in our minds, we return to our ship by coach.
What you need to know
- The coach journey to Pisa takes approximately 1 hour and 30 minutes each way.
- This excursion does not include a guide. A local escort will be present during journeys?.