THE BEST OF LIMA - World Cruise Tour included
Sightseeing, Cultural, Lunch not included
Description An excursion exploring the best of Lima, the wonderful capital of Peru, founded by Francisco Pizarro and named the City of Kings. A tour of its key monuments, historic squares, fountains and parks, with a charming mix of ancient and modern, where the heritage of the past blends with a vision of the future.
What we will see
What we will do
What we will see
- Historic centre of Lima: Plaza Dos de Mayo, Plaza San Martin and Plaza Mayor with its bronze fountain
- Government Palace, City Hall and Cathedral, lush gardens and magnificent fountains
- Miraflores district: breathtaking views of the Pacific Ocean and Parque del Amor (photo stop)
What we will do
- We will leave the port of Callao and travel by coach to the historic centre of Lima, the political and financial capital of Peru, founded on 6 January 1535 by Francisco Pizarro with the name the City of Kings, referring to the Three Kings who arrived on the Epiphany.
- The city centre was declared a UNESCO World Heritage Site in 1988, and we will waste no time in discovering the wonders it has to offer, starting with the famous Plaza Dos de Mayo, the square commissioned by the Peruvian government to commemorate the battle of Callao, which took place on 2 May 1866. We will then admire Plaza San Martín, the square that has a statue of Peru’s liberator José de San Martín in the centre and boasts a lively atmosphere thanks to the numerous artists and musicians there.
- Then we will head to the restored Plaza Mayor, also known as Plaza de Armas, where we will stop to take photos. Dating back to the Colonial Period, it is the most important and picturesque square in the city. In the centre there is a marvellous bronze fountain decorated with zoomorphic elements and dotted with beautiful cherubs, nymphs, acanthus leaves, fins and volutes denoting the points of the compass.
- The square is surrounded by the city’s most important historic buildings that symbolise Spanish colonial rule, including the Government Palace, City Hall and Cathedral of Lima, a symbol of Catholicism dating back to the early 16th century. The white building features various architectural styles and two huge spiral twin towers that are visible from every point in the city centre.
- Plaza Mayor is also surrounded by lush gardens and magnificent fountains from more recent times, reflecting the desire to renew the capital city.
- When we leave Plaza Mayor, we will head to the Miraflores district, the most picturesque and popular area in the city, with a sparkling artistic scene and an almost endless array of bars, restaurants, shops, hotels, nightclubs and fashionable venues.
- We will stop here briefly to take some photos of the breathtaking views of the Pacific Ocean or we can admire the famous Parque del Amor, a park that opened on Valentine’s Day in 1993 with a romantic atmosphere thanks to its wonderful location with panoramic views of the bay. The park takes its name from the presence of a contemporary sculpture called 'The Kiss' by Peruvian artist Victor Delfín, which depicts two lovers in a passionate kiss.
- After our stop in the Miraflores district, we will board our coach again to return to the ship.