THE HIDDEN TREASURES OF ITALY - ATRANI
Sightseeing, Cultural, Shopping
We marvel at the Medieval charm of Atrani with a stroll around the town’s alleyways to admire the enchanting panoramic views, visit the amazing churches and immerse ourselves in the relaxed atmosphere typical of small towns.
What we will see
- Town of Atrani
- Stroll around the centre
- Town square
- Church of San Salvatore de Birecto
- Collegiata di Santa Maria Maddalena
What we will do
- We leave Salerno behind us and head towards the enchanting small town of Atrani: sandwiched between the sea and the plunging cliff and almost connected physically to Amalfi, it is located on a strip of land at the estuary of the Dragone river.
- Surrounded by rocky peaks and a picturesque bay, Atrani is the best-preserved coastal town with a typically Medieval structure.
- Once there, we can explore the centre at our own leisure - we can stroll in the maze of alleyways, steps and archways and let ourselves be enchanted by the contrast of light and shadows in the characteristic squares, the white façades and the colourful gardens and vegetable plots.
- We reach the Piazzetta (town square), the heart of the city, and a marvellous urban courtyard where the locals and tourists from all over the world meet from early in the morning and late at night between bars and restaurant tables and on the steps of the church of San Salvatore.
- We take the chance to visit some of the numerous churches, a source of pride to the town due to their artistic treasures and, most of all, for the charm and setting of the places where they were erected. The church of San Salvatore de Birecto stands out among all of them and is where the foremost government authorities were appointed. It was built in 940 but was later remodelled in the Neoclassical style and contains a late 11th-century marble pluteo.
- The collegiata di Santa Maria Maddalena is at the foothills of the mountain and was erected in the 13th century as homage to the Madonna for having freed the locals from Saracen plunderers. The majolica-tiled dome and square bell tower have become the symbol of the Atrani skyline.
What you need to know
- This excursion does not include a guide, but we will have the assistance of a local rep.