THE VALLEY OF TEMPLES OF AGRIGENTO - with lunch
Sightseeing, Cultural, Meal included
We will visit the famous archaeological park of the Valley of Temples of Agrigento, the city's symbol, and will be impressed by the sight of the magnificent, and extremely well preserved, temples of the Hellenic era.
What we will see
- The Valley of the Temples in Agrigento
- Temple of Juno
- Temple of Concordia
- Temple of Hercules
- Temple of Olympian Zeus
- Temple of the Dioscuri
- Lunch with local specialities and traditional entertainment
What we will do
- At the port of Palermo we will board the coach for the Valley of Temples in Agrigento, taking the main road that crosses the heart of Sicily. The Park was added to the UNESCO register of World Heritage Sites in 1997, due to it being a key example of classic Greek civilisation.
- Founded in 582 BC by Greek colonies with the name of Akragas, over the course of only a few decades the city developed enormously, until it became one of the most important economic and cultural centres in the Mediterranean, defined by the great Greek poet Pindaro as "the most beautiful city of the mortals".
- The Valley of Temples is now the largest example of that age, able to enchant its many illustrious visitors who have paid homage over the centuries, from Ariosto to Goethe, from Maupassant to Pirandello.
- Together with our guide, we will experience similar emotions as we admire the Temple of Juno, the magnificent Temple of Concordia, which amazes us with its size, the harmony of its architectural structure and its perfectly preserved state.
- Our visit will continue with the Temple of Hercules, the hero of the city, the Temple of Olympian Zeus, built as a thank-you offering to the god after the victory over the Carthaginians at Himera, and the Temple of the Dioscuri, which has become a symbol of Agrigento and Sicily.
- At the end of the visit, we will travel by coach to one of the most famous restaurants in the area, where we will be welcomed with traditional singing and dancing and won over by the delicious Sicilian dishes, before returning to the coach.
What you need to know
- The coach transfer to the Valley of the Temples takes approximately 3 hours.
- Comfortable shoes are recommended.
- This excursion is not recommended for guests with mobility problems.
- We recommend that you book early because only a limited number of places are available.