RANDERS AND THE RAIN FOREST
Sightseeing, Nature excursion
We visit the lovely city of Randers with a guided tour of the centre and an extraordinary attraction: the rain forest recreated under three large domes where many animals roam freely providing the chance for thrilling unexpected meetings.
What we will see
- Walk around the city centre
- Randers Regnskov
- Rain forest under three domes
- Exotic animals
- Aquarium and reptilarium
- Free time for shopping and/or lunch
What we will do
- We leave the port behind us on a coach and head north. A one hour transfer takes us to Randers, the sixth largest city in Denmark six km from the coast on the banks of the Gudenå river.
- The only natural river port in Denmark, Randers has been a leading trading centre for centuries. Once off the coach, a guide takes us for a walk around the city centre with its cobbled streets overlooked by traditional wooden and brick houses.
- We admire the centre's main attractions such as the famous statue to the Jutland horse, the old town hall with its monument to 14th-century Dutch hero Niels Ebbesen and the Natural History Museum.
- We then visit a unique sight: Randers Regnskov, the largest artificial rain forest in northern Europe recreated under three large domes featuring plants and animals typical of this environment.
- After a short introduction, we are free to explore the three geodetic domes in which the rain forests of South America, Asia and Africa have been recreated, populated by their local animals such as the extraordinary Komodo dragon.
- In the South-American dome, we can stay on the ground floor or climb to the top of the trees through a network of walkways and suspended bridges to admire the view over the forest.
- The centre is also home to an aquarium with fish of all colours and a thrilling reptilarium where we can walk among the snakes slithering freely!
- After our visit, we have some free time available to do some shopping in the park store and have lunch at the Rainforest Café with a visit to the mini zoo and domestic pet area. * Finally, we get back on our coach to return to Aarhus.
What you need to know
- We recommend that you book early because only a limited number of places are available.