TYPICAL NURAGHI JEEP DISCOVERY
Nature excursion, Entertainment, Tasting
A jeep adventure through the province of Olbia to discover the region's typical houses known as Nuraghi, and a chance to taste some delicious Sardinian specialities.
What we will see
- San Pantaleo
- Giants' Grave
- Nuraghe Albucciu
- San Giacomo Church
- Sardinian speciality tasting
What we will do
- We will jump into our jeep at the port, ready to cross the Sardinian countryside. The first stage: San Pantaleo to marvel at the views and take photos of the valley.
- Then we will continue on towards the Giants' Grave (tumbas de sos gigantes in Sardinian) at Coddu Vecchiu o Capichera. You can't help but be impressed by these fine groups of Nuraghi in Sardinian granite which date back to around 2500 BC. They are a masterful example of the architecture that was typical of funeral monuments in prehistoric times in Sardinia, and are made of huge stone monoliths that stick out from the ground.
- We set off again for Arzachena where we will find the Nuraghe Albucciu, which is likely to have been built in the Middle Bronze Age (around 1600 BC) to later be reoccupied in around the 7th to 8th century BC after being abandoned temporarily. The complex is considered a mixed Nuraghe, with features typical of "tholos" Nuraghi (that have a single tower) and corridor-style protonuraghi.
- We will see the Nuraghe up close, set against a granite formation, with an east-facing entrance and covered by an architrave. Eight typical corbels crown the top of the façade, perhaps to prevent the fortress from being scaled from the outside. Two stairways were discovered in a tower in the northern corner which can be accessed from the terrace: one of which leads to the rock formations and the other to an area containing ruins. Back in our jeep, we will move on through Gallura until we reach the San Giacomo Church where we will stop to admire its imposing spire and sample *Sardinian specialities before returning to Olbia.
What you need to know
- There is no guide for this excursion; information will be provided by the driver.
- comfortable shoes and sportswear are recommended.
- This excursion is not recommended for guests with mobility problems and pregnant women.
- Minimum age: 12 years.
- Passengers per jeep: 6 passengers The requirements of couples, families and small groups are usually given priority; in any case it is possible that the excursion is organized with separate jeeps following the same itinerary in a convoy. The excursion is reserved for guests who do not disembark at Olbia.